English teaching resources for KS2, KS3, Common Entrance and Scholarship
English Coordinator resources for KS2, KS3, 11+ Entrance Exams, 13+ Common Entrance and Scholarship
- Handwriting line guides | 3 guideline style, suitable for use with Nelson scheme.
- Handwriting line guides | 2 guideline style, suitable for more independent writers
- Spelling test lists for Year 3 – based on NLS words - Autumn Term | Spring Term | Summer Term
- Spelling test lists for Year 4 – based on NLS words - Autumn Term | Spring Term | Summer Term
- Spelling test lists for Year 5 – based on NLS words - Autumn Term | Spring Term | Summer Term
- Spelling test lists for Year 6 – based on NLS words - Autumn Term | Spring Term | Summer Term
- Spelling test lists for Year 7 – based on KS3 NS words - Autumn Term | Spring Term | Summer Term
- Spelling test lists for Year 8 – based on KS3 NS words - Autumn Term | Spring Term | Summer Term
Suggested reading books
- Suggested reading lists for Year 3 – Year 8
- Suggested reading list for Year 3
- Suggested reading list for Year 4
- Suggested reading list for Year 5
- Suggested reading list for Year 6
- Suggested reading list for Year 7
- Suggested reading list for Year 8
- Revision guides and books for the 11+ and 13+ Common Entrance exam
- Revision guides and books for 11+ entrance exams and SATS tests.
- Suggested reading list for 13+ Public School Scholarship exam candidates
- Suggested reading for reluctant boy readers in Year 5 – Year 8
- BURT reading test | Free and quick to administer reading test. Useful for screening which pupils need more in depth diagnostic testing.
- BURT reading test administration guide.
- Schonell Reading test (with administration guide) | An alternative to the BURT test.
- Schonell Spelling test | Free and useful whole class diagnostic to use as an initial screen or for differentiation.
- VARK learning styles test – with answer sheet and scoring | Useful for evidencing differentiation by learning style.
- Futher VARK learning style resources | Useful for evidencing differentiation by learning style.
Resources for lessons and IWBs
- Anne Frank Trust UK Ltd | Great set of resources.
- Random Writing Prompt Generators | A writing prompt generator. (I’ve used this one a lot for quick starters)
- 501 Writing Prompts | Great resource for essay starters.
- 764 Free PowerPoint templates and backgrounds – High Quality | Great for enlivening the IWB.
- Free English Teacher Resources - By Geoff Barton. Great selection of free resources, which don’t rely on the text books.
- The Lesson by Roger McGough | A great poem for a one off lesson.
- Michael Rosen: Story: What? How? What! Now? | Every English teacher should read this.
- Mock Trial Activity – Resources – TES | Turn persuasive writing into court trials. Works well with PSE too.
- Pig Latin — An English to Pig Latin Translator | Do you teach Holes in Y7? Even if you don’t – a good language activity.
- Prompt Generator | Good creative writing starter for IWBs.
- Storyboard template | Good for linear story planning.
- Teachit Timer | A large IWB countdown timer.
- Wordle - Great Tag Cloud creator which can be used for displays or creating calligrams / shape poems.
- Teach and consolidate the learning of apostrophes with this collection of appalling apostrophe misuse photographs. Can your pupils explain why the apostrophe has been used incorrectly, and suggest a correct usage? KS2 & KS3
Some resources for visual learning
- Flickr poet | An interesting and creative way of turning a short paragraph or lines of poetry into pictures. It’s almost a visual cut up poetry creator. Useful to provide otherwise unexplored or not considered lines of thought. Good for IWBs.
- Flickr Five Card Trick | A visual version of ‘five card nancy‘ – where five pictures are chosen at random to provide a visual impetus for a story. Cards can be kept, and others discarded until the germ of an idea is there for planning. Played as a game in small group – rules are here – five card nancy is a great way for reluctant writer to create narrative ideas. Useful for IWBs and really useful with tablets.
- Spell with Flickr | An application which spells words using pictures from Flickr. Good for creating displays or interesting headers for projects – or a ‘wanted’ style poster.
Resources for SATS, 11+ and 13+ Common Entrance English
- Past papers for Common Entrance are available to purchase here
- Common Entrance English Syllabus ( Includes marks scheme) | New syllabus from 2013 (Includes marks scheme)
- Common Entrance English 11+ Regulations and Notice to Invigilators
- Common Entrance English 13+ Regulations and Notice to Invigilators
- Free and downloadable SATS papers for KS1, KS2 and KS3.
- Registration form for Parents (For use when pupil’s school does not offer Common Entrance preparation.)
- Specimen Common Entrance English paper (2013- format)
Resources for Scholarship and 11+ and 13+ Independent School Entrance exams
- City of London School 13+ entrance exam sample questions
- Colfe’s School 11+ and 13+ entrance exam papers
- Dulwich College 11+ and 13+ entrance exam and scholarship specimen papers
- Emmanuel School sample 11+ Entrance paper
- Eton College KS (Scholarship) papers (13+)
- Highgate School sample 11+ and 13+ entrance exam papers
- Mill Hill School 13+ entrance exam papers
- Radley College – past 13+ scholarship papers
- Reigate Grammar School 13+ exam sample questions
- Royal Hospital School 13+ entrance paper
- St George’s College 11+ entrance papers
- St George’s College 13+ entrance papers
- The Leys School 11+ and 13+ entrance exam papers
- The North London Girls’ Independent Schools Consortium sample 11+ entrance tests
- The Perse School 13+ entrance exam papers
- Warwick School sample 11+ entrance papers
Tom Tolkien is a qualified teacher with senior leadership experience as a prep school Head of English at Woodleigh School. If you require consultancy and curriculum advice, or you are looking to fill a part time or full time vacancy for an English teaching position, please contact him via Linkedin.
- 13+ Common Entrance English revision
- 13+ Common Entrance Maths revision | Revision for Mathematics: 13+ Entrance Exams & 13+ Common Entrance (CE)
- ICT Teaching ideas for KS2 & KS3 Primary, Middle and Prep schools
- Using film and media in KS2 and KS3 Literacy, English and Creative Writing