EU cookie directive 2012
For our users in the EU, we fully comply with the EU directive regarding cookies.
https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com and http://www.tomtolkien.com is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com and http://www.tomtolkien.com do not directly store any information as a result of your browsing, but our hosting platform, WordPress.com may do – for their purposes, not ours. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com and http://www.tomtolkien.com may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from: May 2012
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title (if you submit this on a reply or contact form)
- contact information including email address (if you submit this on a reply or contact form)
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- We may use the information to improve our products and services
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
What is a cookie?
Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information which are downloaded to your device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit, or to another website that recognises that cookie. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user’s device.
You can find more information about cookies at:
- For a video about cookies visit a look at cookies
- For information on how to change your cookie settings
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improve the user experience. They can also help to ensure that adverts you see online are more relevant to you and your interests. The cookies used on this website have been categorised based on the categories found in the ICC UK Cookie guide.
Category 1: strictly necessary cookies
These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the website. Without these cookies services you have asked for, like shopping baskets or e-billing, cannot be provided.
Category 2: performance cookies
These cookies collect information about how visitors use a website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don’t collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how a website works.
By using our website, you agree that we can place these type of cookies on your device.
Category 3: functionality cookies
These cookies allow the website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. For instance, a website may be able to provide you with local weather reports or traffic news by storing in a cookie the region in which you are currently located. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customise. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
By using our website, you agree that we can place these type of cookies on your device.
Category 4: targeting cookies or advertising cookies
These cookies are used to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement as well as help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign. They are usually placed by advertising networks with the website operator’s permission. They remember that you have visited a website and this information is shared with other organisations such as advertisers. Quite often targeting or advertising cookies will be linked to site functionality provided by the other organizations.
A list of all the cookies used on this website by category is set out below.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998.
A small fee will be payable.
If you would like a copy of the information held on you please send us a message via the contact form on this website.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible via this website. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
- e-Privacy (cookie law) Directive – “Implied Consent” now deemed acceptable (epiphanysearch.co.uk)
- UK ‘cookie law’ takes effect: What you need to know (zdnet.com)
- This website: thomastolkien.wordpress.com cannot be held responsible for the content of any external site linked to from within this site.
- The content of the pages of https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trade marks reproduced in this website which are not the property of, or licensed to, the operator are acknowledged on https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com.
- Unauthorised use of https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- Your use of https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com and any dispute arising out of such use of https://thomastolkien.wordpress.com is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
- This website and its content is copyright of Thomas Tolkien – © Thomas Tolkien 2009-2012. All rights reserved.
- Any redistribution or reproduction of part or all of the contents in any form is prohibited.
- You may not, except with our express written permission, distribute or commercially exploit the content. Nor may you transmit it or store it in any other website or other form of electronic retrieval system.